Working With Rouge for the First Time

When I started blogging with Jekyll, one of the projects that interested me was working on a CFML lexer for Rouge. It’s been a while since I’ve written a post, so it seemed like a good time to just dive in, get my hands dirty, and see what happened. All I’m doing in this post is getting Rouge set up, so that I can start tinkering with it.

Continue Reading

CFML API Wrappers

There are two small projects I’ve been working on: salesforceiqcfc and screenshotlayercfc. They are basic, CFML API wrappers for the SalesforceIQ and Screenshotlayer.com APIs, respectively. Their benefit to me is twofold: 1) I can use the actual functionality of the APIs in my applications, and 2), the exercise of writing the wrappers got me to think about APIs, my code, and open source code in a much more engaged way.

Continue Reading

Getting Started with CFLint

We recently encountered a memory leak that I suspected was the result of poor var scoping, but I couldn’t locate the offending code. In the past, I’ve used varscoper (sometimes in conjunction with CodeChecker) to locate this type of error. Both have worked, and are very good tools, but I never worked out a system for making them easy to integrate in my day-to-day development. I had seen the CFLint project, but the need to download jars and use Maven was a bit intimidating - until I actually gave it a shot.

Continue Reading

Using ColdFusion Loops with Bootstrap Rows and Columns

One of the most common application requirements is outputting an arbitrary amount of data in organized rows and columns. It used to be done with tables, now it’s done with Bootstrap; it looks better, but the principle is the same: output items until the row is full, then start a new one - and make sure you close all the tags that you open, in the correct order.

Continue Reading

A Note on IIS and Upgrading to ColdFusion 11

We recently upgraded to ColdFusion 11 (I know, less than ideal timing). The process was relatively smooth because we ran ColdFusion 10 and 11 side-by-side before completing the upgrade. I don’t think we took this approach when moving from ColdFusion 9 to 10, but it’s actually fairly easy to do. We only ran into one complication - an IIS configuration issue - that had a simple solution, and also helped deepen my understanding of how the application server interacts with IIS.

Continue Reading